Breast Cancer Risk Factors
Your Breast Cancer Risk Tool
Click the Breast Cancer Risk Calculator from The Siteman Cancer Center to help determine if you have any risks.
Other Breast Cancer Risks May Include:
- Long-term use of hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
- Personal history of breast cancer or non-cancerous breast diseases.
- Family history of breast cancer (on either your mother’s or father’s side of the family).
- Treatment with radiation therapy to the breast/chest.
- Exposure to diethylstilbestrol (DES) (i.e., if you took DES during pregnancy or your mother took DES during her pregnancy with you).
- Dense breasts that make it harder to read a mammogram.
- Drinking alcohol.
- Night-shift work.
Some women will develop breast cancer even without any known risk factors. Having a risk factor does not mean you will get the disease, and not all risk factors affect your risk to the same extent.
Most women have some risk factors and most women do not get breast cancer. If you have a breast cancer risk factor talk with your health professional about ways you can lower your risk, and about screening for breast cancer.