Why We Don’t Talk About Early
Signs And Symptoms Of Lung Cancer?
Most people don’t even know they may have the symptoms of early lung cancer. One of the biggest enemies of detecting lung cancer early can be their attitudes about lung cancer.
A research project conducted by the Faculty of Health & Wellbeing Sheffield Hallam University in Doncaster UK involved interviewing people with lung cancer. They said there are many reasons why people with symptoms don’t call their health professional, including:
- Thinking their cough is due to another health problem e.g. a winter virus, a chronic chest problem or it will clear up if left alone.
- Worrying they would be wasting the doctor’s time.
- Frightened that the cough may mean something more serious, for example, lung cancer.
- Ex-smokers or non-smokers thinking they had no risk of lung cancer.
Reasons People Should Report Symptoms:
- Their symptoms may not be caused by lung cancer.
- Even if they never smoked, or have given it up, there is still a much lower chance of getting lung cancer.
- Whether it’s lung cancer or not, the earlier it is diagnosed, the better the chance of getting early and effective treatment.
Resource: Cancer Research UK
Learn More About Protecting Your Lungs From Cancer As An Ex-Smoker