More Good Ways To Reduce
Your Chances Of Getting Diabetes
Even People At High Risk Can Cut
Their Risk In Half By Doing This…
- Get to a healthy weight. Excess weight is the single most important cause of diabetes. Losing just 7 to 10 percent of your current weight can cut your chances of developing type 2 diabetes in half. Recent research shows that there is benefit as well in not gaining more weight.
- Exercise. A sedentary lifestyle is a serious risk factor for diabetes. Aim for 30 minutes of moderate physical activity, like brisk walking, every day. If you can’t fit in one long workout, do three 10-minute sessions throughout the day, like before each meal (this may help reduce your appetite, too).
- Stop smoking. Lung cancer and other lung diseases aren’t the only risks from smoking. Smokers are nearly twice as likely to develop diabetes than non-smokers, and if you’re a heavy smoker, your risk is even greater. Quitting requires a commitment.
- Eat a healthy diet. Diet isn’t only about fewer calories, it’s also about eating the foods that offer the best nutrition.
Choose foods that are lower in fat and calories and higher in fiber by focusing on fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Reduce stress. Stress can increase your risk of diabetes.
- Controlling your blood pressure and cholesterol levels will also help lower your risk.